Monday, July 12, 2010

Germany, Day 1

Germany, Friday, June 18, 2010


This part of  Germany is reminiscent of the Midwestern countryside, verdant and both flat and hilly. It doesn’t seem muggy to me, as I’d expected, at least not today. Our first stop was at an office to get a temporary photo ID to be on base. The picture after a 9 hour flight with fitful sleep and an hour’s drive left me looking—we’ll say “less than one would hope for.”

We spent the first few hours chatting and playing with Breck and Helen. Then we came to our room for a rest. Now I understand why this is called stairwell housing. It was deceptive when we came in because Joel and Kim live on the first floor. My vision of our room on the next floor was erroneous.  We walked up several flights, passing other apartments to get to the top floor. Originally servant’s quarters, the fourth floor consists of a guest room for each of the building tenants with a shared bath. As we are the only ones here currently, the bath is all ours.

It is a quaint little room and perfect for guests in the summer. I would spring for sleeping on the couch if it were winter. But now, it is airy and warm feeling. Kim has it stocked with toiletries that make me think I must do a better job when we have guests. (She does it so well.)

This evening we’re going into town to watch the US in the World Cup. I’ve never been a great soccer fan, but I’m sure I’ll catch the spirit once there (unless I fall asleep in my seat from jetlag.) I’ve toughed it out without even a nap and hope to feel refreshed in the morning. That is a necessity as were off to France tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment