Monday, February 2, 2015

An Introduction: Day 1 of living unexcessively

Time has a way of bringing things back around, and once again I'm teaching the "Godly Girls." The actual name of the class is "The Making of a Godly Woman," but that's just too long to say. Last year the teachers of "Godly Girls" included the book 7, which is an experiment dealing with excess in our American culture. The author takes a month and pares down an area in her life to 7 (yes, 7) items.

We don't have months to get through the areas of excess we all live in, so we pared down the pare down and decided to work on each category for a week. Since we're talking "godly girls" and not bonafided 18-year-old adults, the project is voluntary and--well--modified. Since all the girls were participating in the project, how could I not. I looked myself in the mirror and said, "You ARE the teacher. You will do this."

This week is food. Here is the deal: we each picked 7 foods to eat for a week. Just 7. Together we shared the items we'd chosen, determined we'd start on Monday because yesterday was the Superbowl (and Superbowl parties), and that we'd make our 7th item a flex item, meaning we could have one food of our choice each day. (This was necessary because this week students are giving speeches in speech class, and the hope among the godly is that most of those speeches will include food.) We also decided that everyone needs their calcium, so milk is a freebee. As I said, it's modified.

My list of foods for the week is as follows: chicken, cheese, eggs, bread, salad, canned peaches (because both Walmart and Target were out of apricots. Seriously?), and my flex food of the day.

By my 10:00 planning period, I felt like I was on a diet--the losing weight kind. There is generally a dearth of food items in the teachers' lounge, but oh, not today. The cupcakes were easy to pass on. The dip? That was hard. I stared long at it and couldn't in any way rationalize that it was only made of cheese. I took one of those cute little breads that accompanied it and pulled the salad out of my lunch box while everyone else partook of the dip. Apparently, it was good.

By the time the happy godly girls arrived in the late afternoon, I was famished. (I suspect it had to do with the missing chips that Jay usually packs in my lunch.) The girls were happy as larks; no one had brought food for their speeches today, and Kari declared she'd had leftover pizza as her flex food.

"Pizza?" I thought. "Is that allowed? Must be. We have leftover pizza."

Supper was suddenly decided--to which Jay was grateful.

The flexible item just might be my salvation this week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment